Learn more about the Berkeley Pre-College Scholars ProgramWatch our videos
Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual Track
The Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual track offers international and domestic high school students the opportunity to join an online community of scholars and pursue their academic goals at the world’s No. 1 public institution. Pre-College Scholars participants will have the opportunity to earn college credit with other students from Berkeley and worldwide. From the convenience of home, you will be able to connect with UC Berkeley students, staff, and faculty. All of the things that make Berkeley a great place are virtually waiting for you. In addition to academics, we have optional, online extracurricular activities and events that will give you a chance to expand your personal and social horizons, learn practical information, and enjoy Berkeley outside of the 'classroom.'
Select courses that meet and challenge your desire to learn. Whether you’re looking for the next set of courses beyond your high school offerings, exploring a possible college major, or seeking to learn something new in an area of special interest, you can find it at Berkeley in the summer! Learn from and with the best, and our staff will work with you every step of the way.Read more about our program and student responsibilities. To learn more, we encourage you to attend one of our upcoming information sessions.
- Learn and engage with UC Berkeley faculty and students, as well as other visiting students in a robust virtual environment
- Add Berkeley Summer Sessions to your college application
- Obtain a Berkeley transcript that can be requested from UC Berkeley's Office of the Registrar
- Earn college credit that may be transferable to another college program*
- Receive a personal letter of commendation from the Dean of Extended Education & Associate Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Education for passing grades, upon email request
- Enjoy our online welcome orientation, interactive workshops, virtual mentorship opportunities, and more!
- Access college preparation workshops designed for high school students
- Receive support from designated program staff throughout the program
*Acceptance of transfer credit is always at the discretion of the accepting institution.
Application opens - Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 9:00am (PST)
Application deadline - Monday, June 6, 2022, 11:59pm (PST)
"My favorite part was gaining first hand knowledge about how supportive and academically driven the UC Berkeley community is through interaction with the staff, students, and Pre-College program. It made me realize Berkeley is my dream school because I fit in so well with the culture."
—Pre-College Scholar Program Participant, 2021
Have a question?
The Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Summer Virtual track is open to both domestic and international high school students who will be 16-18 years old by the start of the program (Sunday, June 19, 2022).
Students must be in good academic standing in their home institutions. International high school students must meet the Summer Sessions' English Language Requirements.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Virtual track:
- Have completed the 10th or 11th grade by the start of summer classes and plan to continue their high school studies in the subsequent fall
- Have an overall B average (3.0, weighted or unweighted) in all of their high school coursework
- 16 years of age by June 19, 2022*
*Minors that will not be 16 years of age by June 19, 2022, are not eligible to apply for the Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Summer Virtual track. Students planning to enroll in course(s) in sessions A and/or B starting before June 19, 2022, must be 16 years of age by the start of their course(s). No exceptions will be granted for these program policies. Any student found in violation of these program policies will be removed from their course(s) and will have jeopardized their current and/or future participation in the Pre-College Scholars Program.
High school graduates: Students who have graduated from high school before the start of summer classes are not eligible for the Pre-College Scholars program. High school graduates can attend Berkeley Summer Sessions as a visiting student and need to apply using the visiting student application.
NOTE: All students who attend high schools outside of the United States are required to provide documentation of meeting the English Language Proficiency Requirement unless their school country is exempt from the requirement, OR they will enroll only in English as a Second Language course offerings.
"My favorite part of the program was simply being able to participate in a real world college environment and see what classes and lessons are like. I enjoyed testing my skills and being able to learn in a much deeper way than is usually offered in high school."
—Pre-College Scholar Program Participant, 2021
The Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual track participants enroll in online college-level courses offered during the summer sessions. The majority of your classmates will be UC Berkeley students and visiting students from institutions around the United States and the world.
High school students are eligible to take online and web-based courses numbered between 1 and 99 (undergraduate, lower division), provided that academic departments deem the course available to high school students and students have met all course prerequisites.
Participants can choose from a wide range of academic disciplines, including Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, STEM, and much more!
Read more about our recommended online courses.
My favorite part of the Pre-College program was all the events and resources available, as well as the introduction to courses at UC Berkeley. The events and resources were accessible and informative, and through the program you learn about the many aspects of UC Berkeley and what makes it such a good school.
—Pre-College Scholar Program Participant, 2021
Domestic/International visitor fees apply to those who are not currently enrolled in a degree program at a University of California campus. This includes all U.S. college students, high school students, and non-students (general public)
|Per Unit Charge||Registration Fee||Document Management Fee|
Program Application Fee: $25
Fees are subject to change.
Read more about Domestic/International Visitors' fees including a sample student bill for tuition.
*Please note that this cost is per unit. Courses at UC Berkeley are comprised of a number of units. Your tuition charge will be determined by the total number of units you are enrolled in. Your total cost of attendance will be determined by your tuition and fees.
Your virtual summer experience begins with an online orientation session and introduction to Cub Hub. The hub is a student portal that features interactive UC Berkeley-themed challenges and campus resource videos, and serves as an opportunity to meet with program staff, other participants, and your Pre-College ambassadors.
College exploration workshops, community building socials, and interactive extracurricular activities are planned by UC Berkeley Pre-College Ambassadors and program staff to help you meet other students, make the most out of your time at Berkeley, and prepare you for your future college experience.
Read more about orientation and activities.
Follow us on Instagram for student stories, program highlights, and much more!
Applications open: Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 9:00 am (PST)
Application deadline: Monday, June 6, 2022, 11:59 pm (PST)
Before starting your application, please be sure to carefully read the Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual track Help Center starting with this article which contains information to answer your most frequently asked questions. Pay special attention to:
- Admissions and Enrollment
- Eligibility Requirements
- Finances, Billing, and Payment
- International Applicants and Students (if applicable)
- Academics and Coursework
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Program Policies
If you need more information or didn't find the answers you were looking for, please email email@example.com.
Complete the following steps to apply for the Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual track:
1. Application: Gather all of the following information before you begin:
• Basic biographical (name, birth date, gender, citizenship, etc.) and contact information
• Emergency contact information**
** The Pre-College application account must be associated with the student's email address. If you do not have an email account, please create your own unique email account before starting your application. Make sure you will continue to have access to this account after the conclusion of the program for future communication about alumni support and involvement opportunities. Parents/guardians must provide their own unique email address different from the student’s email address. If your parent/guardian does not have an email account, please have them create their own unique email account before starting your application.
The student email address and parent/guardian email address must be different. Failure to comply with this policy will result in a significant processing delay and/or the denial of your application. If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete the personal insight questions: When completing the online application, all students are required to submit two short answers (100 words each) to the following questions.
• What in your academic background prepares you to participate in this program?
• The UC Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Program seeks to create an engaged and inclusive community that is welcoming to students from various backgrounds, experience, and perspectives. Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for the Pre-College Scholars program?
3. Upload a PDF copy of your most recent high school transcript, showing all high school work through Fall 2020 (official or unofficial). The transcript must include the student's full name and cumulative GPA. Report cards are not acceptable.
4. Review the UC Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Summer Virtual Program Code of Conduct & Agreement Form through the application portal.
5. Review the UC Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Summer Virtual Program Consent to Release Student Information Form through the application portal.
6. Review the UC Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Summer Virtual Program Waiver of Liability and Authorization Form through the application portal.
7. English Proficiency Requirement (if applicable): All students who attend high schools outside of the United States are required to provide documentation of meeting the English Language Proficiency Requirement unless their school country is exempt from the requirement, OR they will enroll only in English as a Second Language course. Proof of meeting this requirement is normally completed during the visa process for international visitors. Because you will NOT be issued an I-20 to apply for a student visa, you will need to provide this documentation during the application process.